Shadow Life (graphic novel) forthcoming. New York: First Second Books, March 2021. Illustrated by Ann Xu.
Chorus of Mushrooms. Edmonton: NeWest Press, 1994; 20th anniversary Edition, NeWest Press, 2014.
Chorus of Mushrooms In Translation:
- Chor der Pilze. Bad Berka: cass verglag, 2020. (German translation by Karen Gerwig.)
- Coro di Funghi. Roma: Edizioni Socrates, 2005. (Italian translation by Cristiana De Sanctis and Valeria Trisoglio)
- コーラス・オブ・マッシュルーム / Korasu obu masshurumu. 彩流社: Sairyusha, 2015. (Japanese translation by Matsuki Masutani.)
- Maḳhelat Piṭriyot. Tel Aviv : Zemorah-Bitan, 1996. (Hebrew translation by Neṭaʻ Gal)
Hopeful Monsters: stories. (short stories) Vancouver: Arsenal Pulp Press, 2004.
The Kappa Child. (novel) Calgary: Red Deer Press, 2001.
Young Adult Novels
Half World. Toronto: Puffin Canada (Penguin), 2009.
- Entremonde. Paris : J'ai lu, impr. 2010. (French translation by Marie de Prémonville.)
- Yarım Dünya. Istanbul: İthaki Yayınları, 2012 (Turkish translation by Bülent O. Doğan.)
Darkest Light. Toronto: Razorbill (Penguin Canada), 2012.
The Water of Possibility. Regina: Coteau Books, 2002.
Short Fiction in Anthologies and Magazines (Selected)
- “One Easy Trick.” New Suns: Original Speculative Fiction by People of Colour. Ed. Nisi Shawl. Oxford, UK: Solaris, 2019.
- "The Moon Spun Round Like a Top." PRISM International, issue 55:3 (Spring 2017).
- "Notes from Liminal Spaces." Uncanny Magazine, 2017.
- "Tales from the Breast." Sisters of the Revolution: A Feminist Speculative Fiction Anthology. Eds. Ann and Jeff Vandermeer. Oakland, CA: PM Press, 2015.
- "Covalent Bond." Room Magazine. Issue 37.4. (December 2014).
- Systems Fail. Hiromi Goto and N.K. Jemisin. Limited Edition Publication in conjunction with WisCon 38, May 23-26, 2014. Seattle: Aqueduct Press. 2014.
- "The Hikikomori." The Beastly Bride: Tales of the Animal People. Eds. Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. Viking Books for Young Readers, 2010
- "The Sleep Clinic for Troubled Souls." The Future is Queer: A Science Fiction Anthology. Vancouver, B.C.: Arsenal Pulp Press, 2006.
- "Foxwife." The Faery Reel: Tales from the Twilight Realm. Eds. Ellen Datlow and Terri Windling. Firebird Books, 2006
- "Home Stay." And Other Stories. Ed. George Bowering, Powell River, B.C.: Talon Books, 2001.
- "From Across a River." This Magazine (Winter 2001).
- "The Pleasure of Pyjamas." (excerpt from The Kappa Child) A Second Skin. U.K.: Women's Press, Spring 1999. [Also translated for the Italian edition Seconda Pelle, Universale Economica Feltrinelli, 2001.]
- "Drift." Ms. Magazine 4.3 (Spring 1999).
- “Excerpt from The Kappa Child." Alberta Views 1.3 (Summer 1998).
- “Excerpt from The Kappa Child."Absinthe Magazine (Prairie Asians Issue) 10.1, (1998).
- “Excerpt from Chorus of Mushrooms" Feast! Women Write About Food. U.K.: Women’s Press, 1996.
- "Final Examination, Canadian Culture 201" eye wuz here. Ed. Shannon Cooley, Douglas & McIntyre Ltd. Vancouver: 1996.
- "Tales from the Breast." Ms. Magazine (1996).
- "Night." Making a Difference, Canadian Multicultural Literature. Ed. Smaro Kamboureli. Don Mills: Oxford University Press, 1996.
- "Stinky Girl." Due West. Ed. Aritha van Herk. NeWest Press, Turnstone Press and Coteau Books, 1996.
- "Tilting." Boundless Alberta, Ed. Aritha van Herk. Edmonton: NeWest Press, 1993.
- "Sparrows." Grain (Fall 1992).
- "Grandmother's Sea." Blue Buffalo (Summer 1992)
Creative Non-Fiction & Essays
- "The Last Time I Saw You." Brick, A Literary Journal. Issue 104. Winter 2020.
- "First Landguage." Luminous Ink. Eds. Tessa McWatt, Rabindranath Maharaj, and Dionne Brand. Toronto: Cormorant Books, 2018.
- "Not Your Ethnic Body." (creative criticism) Threshold. Ed. Srdja Pavlovic. Edmonton: University of Alberta Press, 1999.
- "Alien Texts, Alien Seductions: The Context of Colour Full Writing." Literary Pluralities. Ed. Christl Verduyn. Peterborough: JCS-Broadview Press, 1998.
- "Not Your Ethnic Body." The Chiba University Canadian Studies Forum 3 (1997-98).
- "Translating the Self: Moving Between Cultures." WestCoastLine (Fall 1996).
- "This is the Way." Rising Tides: Reflections for Climate Changing Times. Ed. Catriona Sandilands. Halfmoon Bay: Caitlin Press, 2019
- "Safari Dive.” (poem) Ribsauce. Ed. Taien Ng-Chan. Montreal: Vehicule Press, 2001.
- "Osmosis.” (prose poem) Millennium Messages: an anthology of Asian Canadian writing. Ed. Kenda Gee & Wei Wong. Edmonton: Asian Canadian Writers Workshop Society of Edmonton, 1998.
- "Anatomy.” (poem) Prairie Fire 18.4 (Winter 1997).
- "Woman (a)Broad." Contemporary Verse 2 19.1 (Summer 1996).
- "The reversible skin." (poem) Contemporary Verse 2 (Winter 1994).
- "the body politic" (poetry) WestCoastLine 13/14 (Spring 1994).
- Brick: A Literary Journal. Photos for “A Small Walk.” by Maclear, Kyo. Number 102, (Winter 2019) p. 21-27
- The Capilano Review. 3.35 (Spring 2018) p. 32-33.
Other Creative Works and Collaborations
Co-writing & consulting
- Writer. The Shako Cup with Cindy Mochizuki, Vanessa Kwan, and Tonari Gumi. 2016.
- Co-writer. Showa Shinzan, an award winning NFB animated short directed by Alison Reiko Loader and co-written with Jesse Nishihata. 2002.
- Story consultant for Cave to Dream by Cindy Mochizuki
- Consultant for Against the Current: A Collaborative Cross-Cultural Performance. 2015
- Finder Seeker, by Jenn Currin. Anvil Press, 2018
- Sodom Road Exit, by Amber Dawn. Arsenal Pulp Press, 2018
Short-listed, Lambda Literary Award 2019
Short-listed, Ethel Wilson Fiction Prize (BC Book Prizes) 2019
Winner, James Tiptree Jr. Honor List 2019
Short-listed, Sunburst Award 2019
Included on the Globe and Mail Best Books of the Year 2018
- Tiger Flu, by Larissa Lai. Arsenal Pulp Press, 2018
Short-listed, City of Calgary W.O. Mitchell Book Award 2019
Long-listed, Sunburst Award 2019
Winner, James Tiptree Jr. Honor List 2019
Winner, Lambda Literary Award 2019
- Geographies of a Lover, by Sarah de Leeuw 2012 Newest Press
Winner, Dorothy Livesay award for poetry at BC Book Prizes 2013
Essays on the Work of Hiromi Goto
- Beauregard, Guy. "Hiromi Goto's Chorus of Mushrooms and the Politics of Writing Diaspora." West Coast Line: a journal of contemporary writing and criticism. (1996).
- Kong, Sook. "Trap Door to the Sublime: Hiromi Goto finds poetry in the horrific, beauty in the mundane." (Interview.) Herizons 18.2 (Fall 2004): 28-31.
- Garcia Zarranz, Libe. TransCanadian Feminist Fictions: New Cross-Border Ethics. Montreal, Quebec: McGill-Queen's University Press, 2017.
- Libin, Mark. "Lost in Translation: Hiromi Goto's Chorus of Mushrooms." Canadian Literature 163 (Winter, 1999).
- Miki, Roy. "Asiancy: Making Space for Asian Canadian Writing." Privileging Positions: The Sites of Asian American Studies. Ed. Gary Y. Okihiro et al. Pullman: Washington State University Press, 1995. 135-151.
- Pearson, Wendy. "'Whatever That Is' Hiromi Goto's Body Politic/s." Studies in Canadian Literature / Études en littérature canadienne (SCL/ÉLC) Volume 32, Number 2 (2007)
- Pearson, Wendy. "Saturating the Present with the Past: Hiromi Goto's The Kappa Child." Strange Horizons. January 6, 2003
- Pivato, Joseph. "Commentary: Chorus of Mushrooms," Comparative Canadian Literature: Study Guide. Athabasca, AB: Athabasca University, 1996 and 2001.
- Sasano, Mari. "Words Like Buckshoot: Taking Aim at Notions of Nation in Hiromi Goto's Chorus of Mushrooms." Open Letter, De:Scribing Alberta, Part 2. (1998).
- Wills, Jenny Heijun. "Chorus of Mushrooms by Hiromi Goto." The Winnipeg Review. July 3, 2014
In the News
- 8 Books About Mortals in Fantasy Worlds
- The Hunger for BIPOC Speculative Fiction in Canada
- 30 Books by 30 Queer Canadian Writers
- 14 Women Writers Who Dominate the World of Sci-Fi
- The Internet Speculative Fiction Database
- Cheeky Biologists Tweet Photos of ... (Not a biologist!) 🙂
- Good Reads
- Gift Book Suggestions for the Imaginative, the Curious, the Weird
- WorldCat records for Hiromi Goto - 1966